How to properly clean and maintain your air conditioning?
It is imperative to maintain your air conditioning system regularly. Not only do you optimize its efficiency but you also protect yourself from health problems that may arise from poor air quality. Moreover, by maintaining your HVAC equipment, you increase its lifespan, and decrease the likelihood of a system breakdown. The benefits of maintenance are many, and in this guide we’ll walk you on how to clean your air conditioner yourself, and further emphasize the importance of maintenance.
Clean your air conditioning
Ensuring the proper functioning of an air conditioning is to clean the air filters. This way, you eliminate dust and other particles that could be harmful to your health. The operation is to be carried out every 15 days (during the period of regular use).
Here are the steps to follow:
- Turn off and unplug the air conditioning.
- Open the trunk (the front of the device) by lifting the front panel.
- Remove the air filters from their base by unclipping them.
- Gently pat over a trash can.
- Remove dust lint by hand.
- Vacuum the grates with a narrow mouth vacuum.
- Use a sponge soaked in lukewarm water and regular soap.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Leave to air dry.
- Put the filters back in the air conditioning.
You can also replace the activated carbon filter yourself. This maintenance is carried out once or twice a year to fight against bad odors. If the filter is still in perfect condition, a simple cleaning might suffice.
To do this, you will first need to identify the activated carbon filters that may be located between the air filters and the mouths of the exhaust pipes. Press the retaining rivets to release the carbon filters. Put them in the dishwasher or simply clean them in lukewarm water, without using soap. Dry for 10 minutes in the oven at 100 ° C before returning to the air conditioning.
Also remember to clean the entire air conditioning:
- Use a soft, lint-free cloth and rub the air conditioning body. Do the same for the different pipes.
- Use a sponge soaked in water to clean the air outlets.
- Clean the filters if they are clogged.
- Empty the condensate tray and clean it.
Maintain your air conditioning regularly
Cleaning operations are within your reach, but more technical maintenance should be entrusted to competent professionals such as Be Cool Refrigeration.
Once a year or twice a year depending on your type of air conditioning, it is for example necessary to check the tightness of the refrigerant circuit. The HVAC technician must ensure that there are no leaks or suspicious noises. Also, a technician can check the entire system to make sure that there is no malfunction.
We strongly recommend that you sign a maintenance contract with a professional local HVAC company, and get regular checks to prevent breakdowns, and malfunctions. In the event of an emergency, you’ll be less anxious thanks to the contract in place.
Contact us to request your maintenance quote. We are also at your disposal for any repair, replacement or air conditioning installation.